Friday, August 20, 2010

His memories


I have always hated how some government offices work in snail’s pace! People and especially few women (!!) handle papers and notes as if they are changing diapers of a two months baby! On every such occasion an invisible steam of anger passes off my head and I scream in a dumb voice, “What the heck! Give it to me and I’ll count that wad in a minute!

It was a rainy evening; 6.30 seemed like 8 o’clock as black clouds spread over our heads! Back tyre of my pretty pink bicycle had got a puncture and I rejoiced at the idea of going to dad’s office, so that I could go home late, with him!

I always loved this Harihar MDG during evenings when most of the workers left and dad along with a couple of co-workers used to finalize the day’s accounts. It was an old fashioned building with no definite plan or structure, but He was always proud of its 100+ year’s history and amazing (!!!) post-box like entrance. Well, somehow I loved it!!

He never spoke more than a few words at a time. Those days, discussions with him seemed like dreams (Huumn.. it implies we both were great friends later and used to talk for tens of minutes on phone sometimes!! Yeah, this was an impossible yet true fact!! ).

That evening, He sat at the other side of that huge table facing me; a plate bore the letters “post master”; I asked him,”Pappa, why cant postal department implement computerization throughout? I do not like it when you come home with that tensed face. Computers ease life pappa, softwares can be written for almost anything, other departments are so ‘modern’. Your offices use the same old dull colored papers. (My face had a “yuk” expression) “

His eyes were still on those “dull-colored” papers, with his peculiar way of holding pen, he was signing a paper, his signature was so cute, he smiled, and said, “you write a software, I’ll bring it here and ‘ease’ my life, okay? “

It was back then when I rode my pretty pink bicycle to a 2km away school called “Saint Mary’s Convent”; back then when I fancied the idea of becoming a “Mathematics Lecturer”; when I had no idea I would sometime in future become a software engineer!

Pappa, I can write software for your department now! Can you come back for just once??

6 comments:

  1. My mom works in Vidhana Soudha, (so govt office) and I have to tell you, she didn't waste a single moment by trying to put off work or work at a laborious snail pace.
    But whenever I went there in my childhood (security was lax then), I used to see men and women (mostly men) who used to be least bothered about work and more interested in gossip and other dabba things.
    So most of the people working in govt offices aren't interested in their work, not exclusively women.

    Apart from that, I am actually sad that your father is no more. Was it many years back or recently that he passed away? I'm prying, but if you don't want to reply to that, I understand. I have lost my elder brother. Your post is very sweet (if that wasn't the reaction u were looking for, I'm sorry I felt it was cute)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pappa Can't come back but his thoughts will linger in your mind for a loooong time - all good memories.

    And about the "slow" work in government offices... can't help it. You cannot fire them - so, bear with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Girish My intension was never to emphasize on the working methods of govt offices. I, being a girl, (who thinks she works pretty faster) cannot stand it when women work slow!! The target here were "the slow working women" only :P

    And we lost him just one and a half years back :(
    Thanks for your interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vinay Thats true :) We have to 'move on' packing all those memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree with what you said about govt offices and their work for the latest example we can consider the dispute of CWG.

    Everyday starts with some expectation and ends with some experience thats how life goes on.kavya your post really touched me he may not be alive physically but is alive in all our hearts forever may god give u strength to fulfill all the dreams he had.And we friends are always there with u :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pavan No words :) Thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete

had a thought